I remember when I was really little I got in an argument with my cousin Liz over who had the best dad. And I think I won, because my dad is pretty darn fantastic. So in honor of Father's Day, here are just a few of the reasons of why I love my dad.
* He is very inquisitive. He likes to read and learn about stuff and then tell me about things he learns. I got my atlas out when Collin got his mission call, and for a series of days my dad could be found out on the porch reading over the atlas. Then he'd come inside and say stuff like, "Did you know the birth rate in India is such-and-such?" I enjoy learning about interesting things too. I think this is something I got from him.
* He taught me about work. My dad is a hard worker. He taught me the law of the harvest (he is a farmer, after all), the idea that you get out what you put into something--you reap what you sow. This is a valuable lesson that I use every day, whether it's with my school work or just doing my hair--the final product of your work reflects the time and effort you put into it (and in the case of my hair, it's not much unfortunately.)
* He done take no crap from no body. It's really useful to have my dad around when somebody's trying to sell us something, because he's not going to let us get walked all over. I'm not going to lie, I can be a pushover sometimes. We learned about dealing with unreasonable requests in my Nursing Communication class. In all of our role plays I had to remind myself of WWDD--What Would Dad Do?
* He likes to help his family. Whether it's feeding Collin's horses for him, helping Meg put in her fence, or sharing his Peanut M&M's with me, he likes to take care of his family. I hope that someday I can find a husband like him (but with more chest hair, but just a bit.)
I think I need to apply WWDD sometimes in my life. We have the best parents ever!
ReplyDeleteOh....precious. They really are the best. Great tribute!
ReplyDelete