1.23.2013

Lessons Learned

I consider myself a great multi-tasker. But when it comes to blogging my life's events while in Nursing School at the same time... I fail. That is why I am always catching up. In reviewing Fall Semester 2012 there is so, so much I could say about it. I mean, I learned A LOT. So that is how I'll narrow it down--here are a few of the things I learned Fall Semester 2012:

1. Technology is just about the greatest thing in the world when your little brother lives approximately 7,374 miles away.

He left for his mission to the Philippines in August. It was weird. It was really good. It was bittersweet. It was (and still is) probably all of these emotions plus more times ten for him. If we didn't get his email at 8ish each Sunday night, I'm not sure we'd survive. We even got to Skype on Christmas day. Technology is indeed our friend. We miss him a lot and Christmas was different without him. But he's blessing lives and spreading his influence and the gospel to more people than I ever will.

 

2. It is all fun and games until I have to poke someone with a needle... and then it's hilarious.

Just kidding. It's really not hilarious, it's actually quite terrifying sometimes. But what is "hilarious" are some of things we go through in the nursing program. And that's my lesson learned--sometimes it is so outrageous the only thing you can do is laugh about it. For example, taking turns sticking needles into each other's veins multiple times--hilarious! Or being told by our professors to take the time to eat right, exercise, sleep, and "go have some fun" when we barely have the time to keep up on everything else they've assigned us to do--hilarious! However, while it's hilarious, it's also very rewarding.

IV practice with the best practice buddy there is--Steph


3.  Pinterest is NOT waste of time!

In my pre-Pinterest days I was a doubter. From my observation in the library, I considered Pinterest to be the female's version of video games--spending more time than is necessary online. But then I gave into peer pressure and joined and now I'm a believer. Because here's the thing... video games don't give people recipes, or hair or makeup how-tos, or fashion ideas, or hilarious memes.... enough said.

4.  It's a good idea to make a few a friends along the journey.

There are a lot of girls in the nursing program who spend a lot of time together. It didn't take us long to form friendships. We learn together, struggle together, stress together, and have fun together.
My great clinical group. Seriously--I don't know how it can get much better than this group.




The entire program. These are good (and smart) people right here


5. Sometimes we lose perspective. The Lord gives us much-needed moments to realign our perspective.

They say that nursing school is like having a baby. It is so very hard, and even painful at times. But the end result of a baby (a degree) is so worth it. Sometimes I need to refocus. A few examples:
a.  I received my first B- on a test. For an only-"A"-girl such as myself, it was tragic. It was devastating. But as my missionary brother responded in an email, "Good. That means you are human." Failure has this funny way of humbling us and reminding us what is really important.
b. I pictured myself in Tonga for Spring 2013 Global Health and Human Diversity class. But BYU (and I'm pretty sure God) wants me to be in Finland and Russia. I was a little put out at first because I felt like I "deserved" to go where I wanted. But I was yet again reminded that I don't always get what I want. But now, I am so excited and can't wait. I am going to see so much and experience so much. I don't want to go any place else.
c. Death always forces us to realign our perspectives. I cared for a family that had their father/grandpa pass away. It was hard to watch a family say good-bye to a man they loved so much. But this family knew they would see him again. I knew it too. And that made all the difference in my experience. That is the best kind of perspective to have--an eternal one. The Plan of Salvation is real, I hope I never forget it.








1 comment:

  1. Well look at that...as Dad once told me, getting a good education isn't all about getting good grades. Looks like you're learning that too!

    ReplyDelete