Here I sit watching one of the best cinematic classics of all time--The Sound of Music. I absolutely love this movie. Perhaps it is an inherited trait from my Grandma Colleen who, according to my dad, saw this movie 3-4 times in the theater back in 1965 and cried each time. It was during "These Are a Few of My Favorite Things" that it got me thinking... Favorite things parties and blog posts are the craze right now. Everybody is doing it. And I thought that Oprah started this madness, but just now I realized that Oprah did not start "favorite things"--Frauline Maria and the Von Trapp children did! Now all of the sudden I want to put my favorite things into song, but I will just settle for putting it into blog form instead. So here are a few of my favorite things from 2012 (some of my pictures refuse to load... the joys of internet on the farm):
1. My iPhone 5. It was the first week of Fall semester at BYU when I
noticed that I was the only person without a smart phone. I felt like it
was holding me back. So I told the parents that there was no way I
could reach my true potential without a smart phone. Then this little
friend entered the picture and I love it. It's like having my own
personal assistant--now I'm organized and entertained.
2. Downton Abbey. This show is fantastic. I bought the second season last April and my sisters and I gathered on a couple occasions to watch it. With each episode nearly an hour long, we would end one episode, and then all say, "Ok, one more." And then four hours later an episode would end and one of us would say, "My eyes hurt" or "My butt hurts" so we would make plans to convene for the next half. But there is something about this show that is SO good. The closing scene with Mary and Matthew in the snow brought tears to my eyes...
3. Call the Midwife. To continue with British period dramas, this is another excellent, excellent series. It's based on the true events of Nurse Jenny Lee in 1950s East London. I love it because it's about all of the emotions I experience as a student-nurse--kindness, love, and at times, fear. I can't wait for the second season! (Apparently I should have been born British about 60-90 years ago, because I just love these shows.)
4. Boots. I have this obsession with boots. I have six pairs. And one pair is a pair of Uggs I've been wearing since I was 17-years-old. They are basically all I wear during winter time.
5. Spinning. I took a spin class this semester. It was so very fantastic. It was in the middle of the day from 1-2, but so worth it. Sweat would just drip off of me, and I would leave feeling so tired and so good about myself. They say in a 40 min. spin class you can burn 500 calories--that's right--I said FIVE ZERO ZERO.
6. Fuze drinks. I'm not much for soda pop. It's not like I'm against it, I just don't care for the taste. One day last spring I was at Macey's after a long day at clinical and I decided to try one of these Fuze drinks (the low-calorie kind of course, called "Slenderize") and then I was smitten. They are delicious AND packed with essential vitamins.
7. And lastly, Gangnam Style. If I couldn't be reborn British, then I'd settle for South Korean. This song just gets stuck in my head. In fact, as I was studying for my pharmacology final I would find myself putting the names of drugs into the lyrics of the song. And it was incredibly easy to do, since I don't know what he is saying in Korean anyways. It must have worked... I got an A on the final. Thank you Psy.
And there you have it. Now we'll just have to wait and see what new favorite things I will discover in 2013!
No comments:
Post a Comment